Epson Stylus 4000 / 4800 / 4880
Resolutions to 4000 / 4880 / 4880 Error Messages on the LCD Display Panel
- MNT TNK NEAR FULL – The printer will continue to operate until the maintenance tank has reached maximum capacity. The level can be viewed on the right side of the LCD display panel and starts at the top and goes down just like the ink levels as it is reaching maximum capacity.
- INK LOW – One or more of the ink cartridges are getting low. The printer will continue to operate until the ink level has reached zero at which time that position will flash. You can tell which color designated by numbers below the ink levels on the display. 4880 users will not see ink levels on the LCD display and will not know which cartridge is getting low until the ink actually runs out.
- NOZZLES STILL CLOGGED – When running a nozzle check through the driver make sure to choose “PRINT” instead of “AUTO”. This will print the nozzle check pattern and allow you to see if there are any problems with specific nozzles in specific colors. If you get this error message power the printer off, wait a few seconds and then power the printer back on. This should clear the message. If the printer is set to ON for Auto Nozzle Check you can disable this by first pressing the Menubutton. The printer will display Printer Setup, pressto enter that menu, then press the downarrow until the display reads AUTO NZL CK. Pressto enter that menu, thento toggle between ON and OFF. You will need to press to confirm, and you should see the next to OFF at this point. Next press the leftto back out of that menu, and once you see AUTO NZL CK, press the down until you see AUTO CLEANING. You will want to disable this feature as well. Follow the above steps to disable the Auto Cleaning feature.
- WRONG PAPER SIZE – The paper size in your design program needs to match the paper size that you select in the printer driver. To recover from this error cancel your print job in the document queue through Printers and Faxes first, and then hold down the Pause button for 3 seconds to reset the printer.
- REMOVE PAPER – Hold down the Pause button for 3 seconds to Reset the printer, or lift the Paper Release tab to the Release position, open the printer cover and remove paper manually.
- PAPER OUT – Install sheet paper into the paper tray or install roll paper into the back of the printer. Press the downbutton to allow the printer to pick up paper from the tray or to feed roll paper through the printer.
- RELOAD PAPER -- Install sheet paper into the paper tray or install roll paper into the back of the printer. Press the downbutton to allow the printer to pick up paper from the tray or to feed roll paper through the printer.
- COMMAND ERROR – Make sure you have the correct driver installed according to the color configuration that you are using with your printer. If you have a Dual CMYK setup make sure you install a 4 Color driver (vs. 8 Color or XG8).
- INK OUT – One or more of the cartridges are out of ink or are reading empty in the printer. Replace the empty cartridge(s) with new one(s). 4880 users need to raise and lower the levers to determine which cartridge is out of ink.
- INVALID INK CRTG – The sublimation Black cartridge in Position 1 needs to be set to Photo Quality Ink Set if you have a Jet Black or Black cartridge installed into the printer. You can toggle this by going into Printers and Faxes, right click on the Epson Stylus Pro 4xx0 driver and select Printing Preferences, click on the Utility tab, and select Printer and Option Information. Choose Photo Quality Ink Set and click OK to save the change. With ArTainium ink cartridges there are Matte Black cartridges for both the 8 color setup as well as the Dual CMYK (or 4 color) setup. The option would need to be set to High Speed Ink Set if you have a Matte Black cartridge installed into position 1 in the printer.
- WRONG INK CTRG – Make sure that you have the correct cartridge installed into the printer in the correct corresponding position. For information on color configuration please go to our Chart of Color Configurations.
- SET INK CTRG – The printer is not recognizing that an ink cartridge(s) is installed into a specific position(s), or the ink lever is raised in the UP position. If the ink lever is raised, lower the lever to see if the error goes away. If the lower was in the DOWN position, raise the lever, uninstall the cartridge(s) and reinstall it back into the printer making sure to lower the ink lever. If the error persists, remove the cartridge(s), locate the chip on the cartridge and wipe the chip contacts with Isopropyl alcohol and gently rub a pencil eraser over the contacts.
Install the cartridge back into the printer, lower the lever and see if the error persists. 4000 (only) users can also attempt to put the cartridge into the other slot of the printer with a Dual CMYK setup to see if the problem follows the cartridge or stays consistent with the specific position of the printer (i.e. install the Black cartridge from position 5 into position 1).
- NO INK CTRG – Make sure all 8 cartridges are installed into the printer and that the ink levers are in the down position. If you have all 8 cartridges installed contact Sawgrass Technical Support.
- MNT TNK FULL – The maintenance tank needs to be replaced with a brand new one. The printer will not operate if the maintenance tank has reached maximum capacity or if there is no maintenance tank installed into the printer.
- LOWER INK LEVERS – The ink levers need to be lowered to the down position. The printer will not operate with the ink levers in the UP position.
- LOWER L INK LEVER & LOWER R INK LEVER – This message will be displayed if one side of the ink lever is down and the other is up. Make sure both ink levers are in the DOWN position.
- TOP COVER OPEN – Close the top cover. The printer will not operate if the top cover is open.
- LOAD PAPER -- Install sheet paper into the paper tray or install roll paper into the back of the printer. Press the down to allow the printer to pick up paper from the tray or to feed roll paper through the printer.
- SET PAPER LEVER – Make sure the paper lever is in the Secured position. If the lever is in the Released position the printer will not operate.
- PAPER JAM – If sheet paper is installed into the printer open the top cover and look for any torn pieces of paper inside the printer as this will need to be removed along with any paper that is stuck inside the printer. Release the paper lever to pull any paper out of the printer. If roll paper is being used, release the paper lever and back the roll paper out of the printer. Make sure to still look for any torn pieces of paper. It is possible that the frayed edges of the roll paper be trimmed to have a nice smooth edge to feed into the printer. Once the paper has been cleared press and hold the Pausebutton for 3 seconds to reset the printer.
- NO MNT TNK – The maintenance tank needs to be installed into the printer for the printer to operate. If the maintenance tank is installed into the printer and you still see this message try removing the maintenance tank and reinstall it back into the printer. Sometimes it may take a couple of times for the printer to recognize that the maintenance tank is installed into the printer. If this does not help contact Epson Technical Support.
- REAR COVER OPEN – The rear cover of the printer needs to be installed correctly. There are 2 gray tabs on the both sides of the cover, make sure both of those tabs are locked into position correctly. You will hear them snap into place.
- UNLOCK PRINT HEAD – The green tab that locks the print head into place needs to be pulled out to unlock the print head. Open the printer cover and pull the green tab in the direction shown.
- SVC REQ’D – As most of the SVC REQ’D need to be referred to Epson Technical Support there is one specific error message that is easily recovered from. If the error message is 100001C0, power the printer off, wait a few seconds and then power the printer back on again. The reason for this specific error code is due to a power outage while the printer was powered on.